Thousands of car accidents take place every day, and the victims that are fortunate to survive these ordeals normally engage in the steps to receive a settlement for the damages sustained in the accident. If the victim has car insurance, their provider will take the necessary steps to review their insurance claim and decide how much the victim is entitled to receive. As you will find out, there is a lengthy process that entails investigating accident claims in California.
If you are interested in learning more about how your accident claim will be investigated and reviewed by your insurance provider, keep reading.
Necessary Documents Are First Collected
After you file an accident claim with your insurance provider, you will be assigned an adjuster. This individual is responsible for ultimately determining how much you are eligible to receive after your accident. Once your claim has been reviewed, they may ask for the following documents and information:
- A copy of the police report
- The contact details of the other driver
- Witness statements
- Photos of the car, accident scene, etc.
- Medical bills and other related information.
By accessing these documents, the adjuster will strive to determine a settlement that’s suitable for your case, but there are still some more steps that are taken to accomplish this objective.
Vehicle Repair And Medical Care
Your insurance provider will usually cover your repair and medical costs while your claim is being reviewed. However, once fault has been determined, your insurance provider will hold out on giving you a full settlement. If your vehicle has been damaged in an accident, your insurance company should cover the initial damages.
On the contrary, if any medical injuries have been inflicted during your accident, your provider will need to see medical information relating to your injuries and expenses. Once you provide this information, your insurance company will take the necessary steps to help you receive a settlement.
Usually, your insurance company may request for you to sign a waiver to have your medical records released to them. It’s recommended to consult your attorney before giving them this permission, primarily because insurance companies can use your medical history to lower your claim.
The Side Of The Story
After all of the initial damages have been covered, your insurance company will be engaged to establish fault for your accident. Subsequently, your adjuster may ask for your recollection of the events leading up to your accident. You can also provide a police report of witness statements to further prove your case.
If you are determined to not be at fault, your insurance provider will request that the other driver’s provider pay the remaining damages. However, if you are determined to have been 70 percent atfault, your insurance company will cover that amount of damages, while the other driver’s provider will handle the remaining 30 percent.
Overall, the task of investigating accident claims is normally a lengthy process for insurance companies. However, if you are unsatisfied by the settlement offer you receive, you can alternatively consult with your attorney to take your case to court.