Being involved in a severe car accident is a serious issue, even if you are fortunate to make it through the ordeal unharmed. In the United States, all licensed drivers are required to possess auto insurance. This law has its benefits, primarily because this ensures that drivers will receive coverage if they are involved in a car accident. However, many drivers are unaware of the claim process that begins after a car accident takes place.
If you are looking for more information relating to car accident lawyers and the claim process, read on to learn what your insurance company does after your car accident.
Your Insurance Provider Will Need Important Documents
Obviously, your insurance company will have no idea of how your car accident took place. Therefore, you will be required to submit some important documents that highlight the particular events leading up to the accident. In addition, these documents will also help your provider determine the party at fault and the amount of money you are eligible to receive. Furthermore, your provider will assign an individual responsible for reviewing these documents and negotiating a fair settlement, known as the insurance adjuster.
Typically, your insurance adjuster will ask for the following documents:
- A copy of the police report
- The contact details of the other driver
- Witness statements
- Photos of the car, accident scene, etc.
- Medical bills and other related information.
Once your adjuster receives this information, they will move forward with the claim process.
Determining The Party At Fault
The next step in the claim process is determining the party at fault for the car accident. Your insurance provider will review the documents you submit and make their own determination of the party at fault. Before this occurs, the adjuster will generally ask for your recollection of the events leading up to the accident. You can also provide witness statements and video footage to prove your side of the story to receive a far less arbitrary decision.
If you have outstanding evidence that proves that you are innocent, your provider will award you a settlement commensurate with the damages you sustained in the accident. However, if your provider determines that you possess 70% of fault, they will cover this amount and request that the other driver’s insurance company handle the remaining 30%.
Awarding the Settlement
After your claim has been processed, your adjuster will give you a settlement offer based on the conditions of the car accident. It’s your choice to accept the settlement, and if you do, the claim process ends. However, if you are unsatisfied with your settlement, you can negotiate the settlement offer.
Though, if both parties can’t come to a mutual agreement, you can hire a personal injury attorney to fight for a settlement that you believe if fair to you. Before you make this decision, consult with your attorney to understand if this is the right decision on your behalf.
The claim process after a car accident is lengthy but particularly straightforward. If you have any questions relating to your settlement, consult your attorney to find the best possible options for you moving forward.